Article I: FOUNDING PRINCIPLES
The Mount Kilimanjaro Porters society abbreviated to as MKPS is a non-profit, non governmental organiztion, which was formed by a group of Porters in Kilimanjaro region Tanzania in August 2002 based on the following principles:
1 seeks to establish a strong partnership, cooperation and relationship with other groups and organization of porters, Government instructions and international organization worldwide that are actively involved in advancement and promotion of porters for a sustainable development.
2 Seek to educate and offer knowledge concerning the nature conservation, sustainable use of the natural resources and the environment issue, though seminars, workshop and formal training.
3 Seek to create employment and eradicate poverty particularly among young mens and young people who are interested in the Mountain Climbing activities within Kilimanjaro region and the Tanzania in general.
4 Seek to strengthen the relationship between Tanzanians and other people in exchange and transfers of skills and knowledge. For this reason, the organization shall bear the following name: MOUNT KILIMANJARO PORTERS SOCIETY ABBREVIATED AS MKPS
Article II: THE HEADQUARTERS AND AREA OF OPERATION
The headquarters of Mount kilimanjaro Porters Society (MKPS) are at Kilimanjaro region in Tanzania. The postal address is P.O. Box 1990 Moshi/Kilimanjaro; Tanzania.The area of operation shall be within the Kilimanjaro region in Tanzania.
Article III: AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
Mount Kilimanjaro Porters society (MKPS) was established for an overall aim of promoting culture and safeguarding interests and quality of porters activities in Kilimanjaro region throught initiation and managements of those activities.
• To safeguard the interest of porters through their guides and head porters to take responsibility for others.
• To raise specific emergency funds to pay for porters to be evacuated and be treated in case of sickness and /or accidents.
• To organize and provide training that covers basic safety issues in the interest of both porters and tourist health concerns, such as symptoms of altitude sickness. Opportunities for training will be provided to those porters who wish to further their career and personal development.
• To assist porters to get appropriate equipment to every stage of each particularly trek such as sleeping tents, sleeping bags, protective gears, carrying equipment and other facilities for their own use.
• To establish channels of communication with donor funding agents, companies and other porters interested organization worldwide.
• To set a maximum weight of weight of luggage to be carried by porters and to make sure that porters are not made to carry more than this under normal circumstances. The society in cooperation with tour operators and the National Park Authorities with the maximum load.
ARTICLES IV: STRUCTURE OF ORGANIZATION
• There shall be the executive committee, which will be elected by active members every three years.
• The Executive Committee shall consist of Chairperson, Secretary, Treasure and two selective active members of Mountain Kilimanjaro Porters Society.
• The Executive Committee shall act as the main decision–making body.
• The Executive Committee Shall consider plans and evaluate activities to report to the General Annual Meeting of all members.
• The Executive Committee shall approve proposal of activities as brought in by the members and shall approve budgets and be responsible for auditing expenditure.
• The Executive Committee shall meet quarterly or its members shall determine as needed.
• There shall be a Secretariat, which will consist of Office Bearers namely Chairperson, the Secretary and the treasurer.
• The Secretariat shall act as the main implementing body of day -to- day activities.
• The Secretariat shall plan, organize, supervise and monitor day-to-day activities.
• The Secretariat shall plan and make decision upon weekly or monthly expenditure of funds as advised and approved by the Executive Committee.
• The Secretariat shall form an organizing or project committee(s) and/or activities such as workshops, seminars, projects etc. for short duration time (as decided by the secretariat) until the end of the intended event or project.
• The Secretariat shall produce quarterly or monthly report for exertive committee.
• The Secretariat shall meet weekly or its members shall determine a per need.
Article V: DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF OFFICE BEARERS
• The Chairperson shall be the Head of the organization.
• The chairperson shall be the in charge of the organization and will authorize the expenditure of funds in collaboration with Secretary and the Treasurer
• The Chairperson shall be presiding as Chairperson in every meeting of the Executive Committee and the Secretariat
• The Chairperson is one of the Bank Signatory for the Organization.
• The Secretary is the head of the implementation of the organization objectives and activities.
• The Secretary shall organize and activate members to perform duties
• The Secretary shall be responsible for liaison with other individual porters and organization and/or groups and will be responsible for building of a network
• The Secretary shall approve the expenditure of fund in collaboration with the treasurer.
• The Secretary shall be Secretary in every meeting.
3. THE TREASURER
• The Treasure shall be responsible for all financial matters of the organization
• The Treasure shall be responsible for organizing funds raising activities or events
• The Treasure shall keep records of funds raised and financial expenditure
• The Treasure is responsible to the chairperson and Secretary of the organization
• The Treasure shall be one of Bank Signatory.
Article VI: MEMBERSHIP
The membership of the organization is open to all interested individual porters and young people from within and outside Kilimanjaro region who share similar interests as from the founder members of Mount Kilimanjaro Porters Society (MKPS) and as described in ARTICLE 111 of this constitution.
There shall be membership fee and annual subscription as decided and approved by the Executive Committee, which every single member must pay to be considered an active member of Mount Kilimanjaro Porters Society (MKPS).
Interested individuals shall have to apply for a membership in writing to the Executive Committee. An application for the membership shall be accepted for consideration only upon attachment of recommendation (in writing) from three founder members of the organization and make decision for approval of grant of membership.
Article VII: CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS AND DUTIES OF MEMBERS
• Active members must partipate actively in all activities as decided by the Executive Committee.
• Active members shall be eligible to receiving information on organization actively from the Executive Committee and/or Secretariat.
• Active members have the rights to of being and/or elect any active member during the annual election to become the Chairperson, Secretary, Treasurer and member of the Executive Committee or the Secretariat.
• Active members shall have the right to suggest or propose the removal and/or step-down of any member of the Executive Committee or the annual meeting.
• All members shall pay fees and subscription when due so as to become active members of the organization.
Article VIII: REMOVAL FROM LEADERSHIP
Members through the Executive committee and/or the Annual General Meeting may ask any leader of Mount Kilimanjaro Porters Society (MKPS) in the Executive Committee and Secretariat to step-down if he/she appears to be incapable of discharging duties. Otherwise any leader of the organization shall be removed or asked to step-down thought the General Election which shall appear every after three (3) years from the date of official registration of the organization.
A leadership for the organization shall include the Chairperson, Secretary, Treasurer and Selected members of the Executive Committee.
Article IX: SOURCES OF FUNDS
The source of funds for Mount Kilimanjaro Porters Society (MKPS) activities shall came from:
• Membership fees and annual subscription fees
• Fund raising events or activities
• Grants gifts from friends and other organizations worldwide
• Surplus fund resulting from the operation activities
Article X: MEETINGS
Mount Kilimanjaro Porters Society (MKPS) shall conduct its meetings as follows
1.WEEKLY, MONTHLY AND QUARTERLY MEETINGS
•There will be weekly/monthly and/quarterly meetings for the Executive committee and secretariat for planning and evaluation of the organization activities and plans.
2.THE GENERAL ANNUAL MEETINGS
• This is a supreme meeting of the organization, which will involve all active members.
• This meeting will be responsible for election of Executive Committee members after every three (3) years for the day of official registration of the organization
•The Annual General Meeting will take place once a year.
Article XI: AMENDMENTS
All amendments of this Constitution shall be done in the Annual General meeting if and only if the active members of mount Kilimanjaro Porters Society (MKPS) have found it necessary to do such an amendment(s).